A chess champion from France and the top players in the world are at risk for a stroke.
The French Defense Chess Federation said in a statement on Thursday that two players from the world’s top 20 chess teams have been diagnosed with a stroke in the past week.
“This is a very serious event and we cannot allow it to happen in our country,” a spokesman said.
The Swiss Defense Ministry said in an email that it is “very concerned” by the development and has launched an investigation into the case.
The head of the International Federation of Chess Players, Matthias Schubert, said the event is the most dangerous one the federation has faced since it was founded in the late 19th century.
“The French Chess Federation needs to take care of its players.
This is the first time it has come to this level,” Schuber told the Associated Press.”
There are many other incidents where the number of strokes has been higher.
We must also look at the training, and this is the highest level of risk.”
The head, Klaus Lekic, also told AFP news agency that the federation’s head of medical operations has been summoned to Paris to discuss the situation.
“We must take all possible measures to prevent it from happening again,” Lekics statement said.
French Defense Chess, founded in 1884, is one of the world the biggest chess tournaments.
Last month, the federation reported that its members were suffering from stroke symptoms and are being tested.
The event has become increasingly popular in France.