Connect with us

Latest

STIs: Numbers increasing globally – warning signs of an infection

Published

on

[ad_1]

“Sexually transmitted infections are a major public health issue worldwide,” says The Lancet. During a 29-year period from 1990 to 2019, The Lancet looked at STI trends globally as they looked to “assess the global disease burden and trends of STIs”. After collecting and analysing the data they came to a result that some may not find surprising. Cases of STIs are increasing worldwide.

Conducting an observational trend study, they found that although the highest age-standardised incidence rate indicated a decreasing trend, overall, the rates were going up.

The authors wrote: “Although most countries showed a decrease in age-standardised rates of incidence for STIs, the absolute incidence cases increased from 1990 to 2019.

“Therefore, STIs still represent a global public health challenge, especially in sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America, which warrants more attention and health prevention service.”

During the pandemic however, this changed.

READ MORE: Blood clots: Symptoms can arise in the belly area

The reason for this was because most public spaces, such as night clubs, were closed and people were instructed not to mix with other people within their households; thus, it was much harder for someone to develop a new STI infection.

At least, this is what prevailing logic would lead one to think.

In the United States, figures of STIs have risen.

According to new data, after a dip in early 2020, rates of gonorrhoea and syphilis rose dramatically.

DON’T MISS

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is now concerned about the impact of this rise on public health.

Executive Director of the National Coalition of STD Directors, David Harvey, said: “Unfortunately all signs indicate that the numbers are getting worse and that they’re not going to get better until we adopt some new approaches and invest further in STD and public health programmes.”

Concern now turns to the UK, and whether it will see a dramatic rise post-Covid.

With thousands still getting used to mixing again, the NHS may have to be braced for a wave of men and women coming forward with STIs.

This comes as the health service takes the weight of another wave of Covid-19 infections in the aftermath of the last Covid restrictions lifting.

As well as lifting the last restrictions, free Covid tests are ending from April 1, including for NHS workers.

Worries abound this will create a testing gap, a situation where only the wealthiest can afford to get tested.

It is estimated the cost per month for someone working in the NHS, where regular testing is required, will amount to around £50.

Although this doesn’t sound like much, in a cost-of-living crisis and with taxes rising it could make all the difference to some.

Meanwhile the NHS has a guide to symptoms a person should look out for post sexual intercourse that could signal the onset of an STI:
• Unusual discharge from the vagina, penis, or anus
• Pain when peeing
• Lumps or skin growths around the genitals or bottom
• A rash
• Unusual vaginal bleeding
• Itchy genitals or anus
• Blisters and sores around genitals or anus
• Warts around the genitals or anus
• Warts the mouth or throat.

If you are concerned you may have an STI, visit your nearest sexual health clinic.



[ad_2]

Latest

Ruud van Nistelrooy makes next job decision as Man Utd plan coaching appointment

Published

on

[ad_1]

That decision failed to pay off, however, with the Red Devils sacking Moyes after just 10 months in charge.

After the current West Ham boss came Van Gaal, who arrived with big things expected due to his past success at the likes of Barcelona and Ajax.

Giggs was hoping to get the Red Devils job himself, which was why he stayed, but both ended up leaving nearly six years ago.

When Jose Mourinho took over, he opted to maintain his close relationship with Rui Faria – who had previously worked under him at clubs such as Real Madrid and Chelsea.

Fair departed in the summer of 2018, though, with Michael Carrick then given a place on Mourinho’s bench.

Carrick stayed to work under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, with the Norwegian also regularly picking up the thoughts of Phelan and Kieran McKenna throughout his spell in the dugout.

Want the latest football news? Join our brand new Facebook group by clicking here



[ad_2]

Continue Reading

Latest

High cholesterol: Blood pressure drug linked to significant reduction in good cholesterol

Published

on

[ad_1]

“Though they’re commonly used to treat different forms of heart disease, beta-blockers can significantly reduce HDL levels.”

Among the beta-blockers that cause this are Corgard (nadolol), Inderal (propranolol), Tenormin (atenolol), Zebeta (bisoprolol).

These drugs are widely used in the treatment of angina, heart failure, atrial fibrillation, heart attack and high blood pressure.

But despite concerns about their effect on cholesterol, scientists stress that the benefits of beta-blockers far outweigh the risks.

VeryWell Health adds: “If your beta-blocker affects your cholesterol significantly, your doctor may lower your dose or switch you to a different medication.”



[ad_2]

Continue Reading

Latest

Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez not on same page over Saudi Arabia GP after missile attack

Published

on

[ad_1]

However, after a four-hour meeting between race officials and the teams, it was confirmed the race would go ahead despite the attack. It had been reported that a number of the competing drivers were concerned for their safety following the nearby explosion.

Despite this, an agreement was finally reached to race at 2:30am local time, after team chiefs left the lengthy meeting to confirm: “We will be racing.” A statement from Formula 1 confirmed Sunday’s race would go ahead as planned. It read: “Formula 1 has been in close contact with the relevant authorities following the situation that took place today. The authorities have confirmed that the event can continue as planned and we will remain in close contact with them and all the teams and closely monitor the situation.”

Unsurprisingly, there were a number of mixed views on whether the race should go ahead, and this is clearly apparent in the Red Bull setup. This comes after advisor Helmut Marko revealed that drivers Verstappen and Perez are not on the same page when it comes to racing.

JUST IN: F1 drivers ‘had concerns’ about Saudi Arabia GP as new details emerge after missile attack

On the issue, Marko told Sky Germany: “Max is a bit more relaxed about it. Perez is a little bit scared, but when you live in Mexico City there’s not much more security. We have the pandemic, we have the war in Europe and now we have a missile attack 20 kilometres away. This is no longer normal or pleasant.”

Ahead of tomorrow’s race though, the Austrian advisor is firmly on the side of Verstappen and the race officials, supporting the idea of the race taking place. He commented: “I really think it’s the right thing to do. As I said, these drone attacks are common, I think. They have a very good defence system. Why this one didn’t work remains to be seen. It’s not the first drone, after all. But it’s the first one to strike on such a scale.”

The attack took place during Friday’s first practice session, and it was Red Bull’s star man Verstappen who was one of the first to realise something was wrong after reporting on his team radio that he could ‘smell burning’. Initially, the Dutchman thought the smell was coming from either his or one of his rival’s cars, however it then became clear that an explosion had taken place just a few miles from the track.

Giving an insight into Verstappen’s initial worries, Marko said: “Max radioed us, he thought his car had caught fire because there was an intense burning smell. We were informed a drone had been sent from Yemen. The Saudis have a defence system and for some reason the drone was not intercepted.”



[ad_2]

Continue Reading

Trending